Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I am not an Island

There are many statements which can be used to describe my life but this one has stood out the most over the past week: the Lord has blessed me with amazing friends and family and he uses them to show me his love every day. During the week and a half leading up to my appointment I was blessed to have a dear friend stay at my house who I could talk with and be quiet with. The evening after the appointment it was a group of these wonderful friends who took me out and helped me to remember that this diagnosis does not change who I am and who God has made me to be. I am still his child and these beautiful people in my life still love me and would do anything to support me on this journey.

This is life. We walk this path and we experience joy and sorrow but what really matters is who is there beside each of us during the different seasons. This became even more clear at the end of last week when I spoke with my dear friends who told me the news that they had lost their baby five months along in the pregnancy. My heart broke for them and I felt their pain as my own. They have been walking with me through my experiences and now it is my time to walk with them through their loss and sorrow.
The day after hearing the news I was over at their house when my friend looked at me and asked if I would come and spend a couple of days with her and her husband at a resort near by. Her husband would be working through the days down there and she did not want to be alone. As I write this I have just come home from spending two days and one night with them and while my heart is still heavy from the sorrow and pain, healing has begun for both of us because we were able to shed tears together and to share laughter together. Every day I am coming to realize more and more how precious relationships are especially when we find those who we can be our true selves with. Those who we can show our hearts to and they accept what they see. Those rare people who are willing to walk through the raw and ugly moments which life can sometimes bring our way. It is for all of my friends that I can say I live a blessed life.


"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive,
and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born"
~Anais Nin

1 comment:

  1. I'm only catching up with your blog now.

    I love you my friend.

    ReplyDelete